March 25, 2010

More Than a Gold Medal



A KODAK moment. When time stops. A memory is made. A heart is touched. Recently, I was moved far beyond words by one such act. An act of sacrifice, friendship, and love.

Coaching swimming has always been a pure privilege. Perhaps it is solely the fact I've been blessed with some of the greatest kids on earth, but regardless, each swimmer contributes a portion of that privilege. From the constantly radiant Myada, Hodder's out-of-the-box humor, Kent's amazing bone-crushing hugs, Kayla's enlightening conversations during practice, or Gebaly's ability to make me smile, each one is a special gift to my life


Amazing personalities aside, they also lack no talent. In my two years of co-coaching the traveling squad, they produced two dominating ISST titles (a European championship---we are the only African-based team). This story unfolded after their recent victory in London. Following the championship, the team went out for a celebratory dinner in Esher, slightly outside the city.


After dinner, Dorien, a JV swimmer and my dear friend, approached me carrying a medal. Placing her gold medal in my hand, she shared, "This is the first ISST gold I've ever won and I want you to have it because I could have never done it without you!" My reaction? Speechless. Without a doubt, this medal means FAR more to me than any I have ever won. It represents more than merely a first-place finish. It is a symbol of dedication, appreciation, sacrifice, love, and friendship.


Gets me thinking, in our lives, how often do we bypass the opportunity to express our gratitude? Do we stop long enough to contemplate the many lives who have poured into our own? Do we live life with the "I deserve it" mentality, or with the appreciation that all we have is a gift? Are we as the one leper who, after being healed by Jesus, (see Luke 17:11-19 for the full story) came back to give thanks or the other nine who went on their way? Are we that exception in society recognizing the love we have been shown? Most importantly, do we recognize and acknowledge the love God has shown each of us in providing the opportunity to know Him?
Gratitude requires humility. This is where our efforts of appreciation often stall. We must recognize our need for another. Prior to going to His cross of execution (where He died in the place of His friends---you and me included), Jesus picked up the towel and assumed the humbling role of a servant washing His disciples feet...including the feet of the very man who would soon betray Him. Afterward, He shared, "I have given you an example, that you should do as I have done to you." (John 13:15) No small order when considering the One speaking, but Isaac Watts summed it up well"Love so amazing, so divine, demands my soul, my life, my all."






For followers of this Jesus, the greatest gold medal we can place in His hands is a life which embraces and reflects His love. A life of sacrifice on behalf of others. One which brings peace to the striving, hope to the desperate, love to the lonely, grace to the marginalized, and mercy to the oppressed.
True gratitude is far more than a word said. Rather, it is an action taken. Perhaps that is why Jesus went on to say in the same setting, "Let me give you a new command: Love one another. In the same way I loved you, you love one another. This is how everyone will recognize that you are my disciples—when they see the love you have for each other." (John 13:34-35)
Dorien has forever stamped her memory on my life by this simple, yet profound act.

How different our life 
would be if we adhered to the words of artist John Southar, "The only people with whom you should try to get even are those who have helped you." How different our world would be if we embraced the life-transforming reality of Jesus' aforementioned words, "In the same way I loved you, you love one another."
This lesson won't be forgotten anytime soon.
In case I'm prone to forget, there is a gold medal hanging in my room to remind me.















(blog entry inspired by and dedicated to my friend Dorien)

2 comments:

  1. What a story that represents true thankfulness; I like how you said what the gold medal truly represents, it is much more than a ranking at one moment.

    I was talking to a friend the other day whose income is faith-based. He was telling me how dependent we all are in regards to provision. He gets to see it firsthand because of his situation, but everybody else who receives there salary from the business they work for is no different.

    It so easy for us/me to think we/I deserve a raise because of our hard work and abilities. No, God blesses the company and puts it on the mind of the employer to give you a raise.

    We make it about us, God is at work just as much, there just happens to be a middleman so our eyes stop there, many times along with our appreciation, even if that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Nate,

    I know about your heart for orphans and needy children and wanted to let you know about my new book Orphans and the Fatherless.

    If you would like to check it out, go to www.orphansandthefatherless.com

    (Sorry...I didn't see an email!)

    ReplyDelete