June 24, 2010

To Be Greatly Missed: Tom Zacharia

Three missed calls. Picking up my phone at 15:52 on Thursday afternoon (June 24, 2010), I cheerfully answered my dear friend, Karim Hassan’s fourth attempt to contact me. The message on the other end, however, was not expected. Details were vague, my memory clouded. Something about a treadmill, and…Tom Zacharia---passed away. Blindsided by life’s brevity. Struck by death’s reality.

As Tom’s youth group leader and more importantly, friend, I treasured his presence and wisdom. No, not the intelligence which earned him a 4.0+ GPA in the classroom, but rather, his wisdom which sought to live life in a way that counted…in a manner which impacted lives. His wit, humor, passion, and love earned him a place in hearts. His early departure at seventeen years old has left a void in our lives. In one word, Tom was extraordinary.

And now, as we pick up the pieces, the fragments of our torn hearts, where is our hope? Many find the words of The Roots to echo their questioning spirit. "Dear God, I'm trying hard to reach you, dear God, I see your face in all I do. Sometimes, it's so hard to believe you. But God, I know you have your reasons. I know I'm thinking out loud, but if your love's still around, why do we suffer? Why do we suffer?"

At times like these, it is right to question, to search for answers, and to ache for the presence of a lost friend. Yet it is these very times that remind us of our reality. We are mortal beings. As Solomon the prophet aptly noted,
There is a time for everything, and a season for every activity under heaven: a time to be born and a time to die.” (Ecclesiastes 3:1-2)

Yet Tom, being a believer in Jesus Christ, knew there was more to the story. In that same chapter, Solomon also reminds us, God has also set eternity in the hearts of men.” (3:11) We were not created merely for time, but for eternity. We were created to last forever. Whether our life entails seventeen years, or seventy, each day is gift from God. A day by which we may (by faith) better understand His love through experiencing God’s ultimate gift, Jesus. Sometimes God speaks through the joy of life, and sometimes through the megaphone of pain. To answer the question of the song, perhaps it is God’s very love which allows us to experience loss and heartache so we can be reminded that life is for more than eating and drinking---rather, it is humanity’s opportunity to know their God. The Jesus Tom embraced said, “My sheep listen to my voice; I know them, and they follow Me. I give them eternal life, and they shall never perish; no one can snatch them out of my hand. Tom was loved with an “everlasting love.” (Jeremiah 31:3) He now can experience that love in full measure.
 As much as I’m tempted to question God for taking my dear brother Tom’s life so early on (according to our perception), I’m forever blessed that I got to call Tom Zacharia, “friend.”
Living in Egypt, the phrase “inshallah” (God willing) has become deeply embedded into our minds, yet what truth it portrays as we reflect life. James tells us, Now listen, you who say, ‘Today or tomorrow we will go to this or that city, spend a year there, carry on business and make money.’  Why, you do not even know what will happen tomorrow. What is your life? You are a mist that appears for a little while and then vanishes.’” (James 4:13-14) Tom had plans…for university, his major (sorry, his triple-major), and occupation. But Thursday concluded Tom’s race towards eternity. How easily we make our plans and plan our lives, yet forget our mortality? How often we forget life’s most important question?
Are you prepared for your step into eternity? As the author of Hebrews reminds us, Everyone has to die once, then face the consequences. Jesus Christ's death was also a one-time event, but it was a sacrifice that took care of sins forever. And Jesus will appear a second time, not to deal with sin, but to bring salvation to those who eagerly wait for him. (Hebrews 9:27-28) This life is about more than solely existing. We were created to love. To love God and to know Him. Not by compulsion, but by choice. Tom’s life had a purpose. Your life has a purpose.

Though the tears continue to fall and with my heart still aching, my eyes fall on I Corinthians 15: 55-57. “‘O grave, where is your victory? O death, where is your sting?’ The sting of death is sin, and the power of sin is the law. But thanks be to God who gives us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ.” 

Tom, love you brother! 

(Dedicated to my dear friend, Tom Zacharia)

3 comments:

  1. Nate,
    I didn't know Tom, but have been praying and hurting for the many kids and teachers who did. In the midst of this sadness, I rejoice to know he was a believer and one to whom eternity was promised. I will lift you all up in prayer and hope that through the many tears God's name will be glorified.
    Sorry for your loss,
    Amy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing Tom's story and sure hope. May the Lord's presence and comfort overwhelm hurting hearts in the midst of a pain that no words can express... Love, Dad for Mom too

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nathan.
    je ne connait pas TOM, mais j'ai toujour prier pous tous les enfants dessur, ou qui on le coeur brisee par-ce-que moi meme jesuis victime, et je continuerai toujour a prier que Dieu leur donne un confor divine, merci pour Tom par ce quil connait deja Jesus Christ. Que dieu vous Benisse mon frere.
    Ton bien Aimee, Johnson

    ReplyDelete